The Open Badge Factory™ -plugin turns your WordPress site into an achievement, badging and engagement management system. Your users complete steps, demonstrate skills and knowledge, and earn digital badges. Easily define the achievements, organize the badge requirements any way you like, and choose from and combine a range of assessment options to determine whether each task or requirement has been achieved.
Create badges and set up the achievements to earn them. Badges are Mozilla OBI compatible.
Open Badge Factory is extremely powerful and infinitely extensible. Check out some of the out-of-the-box features:
Many ways to define achievements and give badges
- Reviewed submissions
- Auto-approving submissions
- Nominations and review
- Site activity (triggers based on publising posts and pages, commenting and logging in to your site)
- Completing specific other achievements one or a specific number of times
- Completing one, select or all achievements of a specific type
- Point thresholds
- Admin Given Badges
Define an Unlimited Number of Achievement Types
- Create as many types of achievement as you like
- Name achievement types whatever you wish
- Easily define how they relate to one another using the ‘Required Steps’ tool
- Set default images for each achievement type or select unique images for every achievement item
Shareable Badges with Open Badge Factory Integration
- Badges are Mozilla Open Badge (OBI) compatible.
- Connect your Open Badge Factory account to your site and voila! You’re using WordPress to issue “Open Badges” that can be displayed virtually anywhere.
- Badges you create in Open Badge Factory automatically appear and update on your site
- As badges are earned on WordPress, they can be automatically sent to users via Open Badge Factory for easy sharing on Open Badge Passport, Facebook, Twitter, Mozilla Backpack or the users own blog or website.
‘Required Steps’ Manager
- Simple yet powerful admin interface for defining the “Required Steps” for any badge or achievement.
- Easily link together one or more triggers, steps or actions into the conditions needed to earn a badge or mark an achievement.
Reward User Progress
- Issue badges for any combination of achievements
- Award points for commenting, logging in, making submissions, completing any combination of tasks
- Display a congratulatory message, customizable per Achievement, on each achievement page.
Earned Achievements Widget
- Shows logged in users what badges they have earned.
- Option to choose which specific achievement types to display in the widget.
- Set the parameters for the widget to decide how many recent badges to display.
- Option to show logged in users total points they have earned (if you are using Open Badge Factory -plugin points mechanism).
Theme Agnostic, Shortcodes and Shortcode Embedder
- The Open Badge Factory -plugin works with just about any standard WordPress theme.
- No special hooks or theme updates are needed.
- Turn any page or post into a way to display available achievements and for users to track their progress.
- Multiple options and parameters for each shortcode for great flexibility.
- Shortcode WYSIWYG embedder – appears in the toolbar of all WordPress content editor areas, allowing you to transform any page or post into part of your achievement system — without referencing any of the shortcodes.
- Shortcodes to bring submission and nomination review to the front-end of your site.
- Shortcode to integrate specific available achievements into any post or page of your site.
- Just activate the Open Badge Factory -plugin and place simple shortcodes on any page or post, and you’ve got an engagement management system running on your WordPress site!
Submission and Nomination Review
- Easily review submissions and nominations from members.
- Approve or deny submissions with one click.
- Shortcodes with multiple options for review of submissions on any page or post on your site.
- Powerful shortcodes to add an achievement submission or nomination form to any post or page.
- Add comments to engage the member and elaborate on your decisions.
- Optional notification emails inform you when people on your site have made submissions or nominated peers.
- Submission Notification Settings: Specify an unlimited number of email addresses for submission admin notifications.
- Notifications for: new submissions, new comments, and submission status changes
Extensibility and Open Badge Factory Add-ons
- The Open Badge Factory -plugin is designed to be a true operating system for turning any WordPress site into an engagement management application.
- The Open Badge Factory -plugin supports add-ons to the plugin that enhance core functionality with specialized functions.
- Built with expandability in mind to allow virtually anything to trigger and recognize achievement.
Stay Connected / Helpful Links
If you are interested in developing the Open Badge Factory -plugin, you may be interested to check out these links.
- Open Badge Factory – Contact Us, Video Tutorials, Signing Up, API Documentation, News
- Open Badge Factory Developer Documentation – Open documentation, APIs and resources for Open Badge Factory developers.
- Twitter – Open Badge Factory Tweets
- Twitter – Open Badge Passport Tweets
- GitHub – Report issues, contribute code
The Open Badge Factory -plugin is built with expandability in mind to allow virtually anything to trigger and recognize achievement.
Want to contribute to the Open Badge Factory -plugin core? That’s great! Visit our GitHub site for our projects.
The Open Badge Factory wordpress plugin is licensed to you under the terms of the GNU Affero General Public License, version 3, as published by the Free Software Foundation.
There is NO WARRANTY for this software, express or implied, including the implied warranties of MERCHANTABILITY or FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE. See the GNU Affero General Public License, version 3, at http://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.html for more details.
- Upload ‘obf’ to the ‘/wp-content/plugins/’ directory of your WordPress installation
- Activate the plugin through the ‘Plugins’ menu in WordPress
- Enter Open Badge Factory API certficate for the badge Issuer in the OBF Integration settings to enable badge sharing. (First get an account at openbadgefactory.com if you do not have one.)
- Set up awarding rules for your badges.
- Visit the Help/Support section of the Open Badge Factory menu for further help and shortcodes to turn any page or post on your site into a Open Badge Factory list of available achievements and badges.
- What is an Open Badge?
Open Badges is an online standard to recognize and verify learning. It was created by the Mozilla Foundation in 2011 and has been adopted by schools, vocational and public organizations and companies around the world.
Open Badges was developed because there is a strong need in our web-enabled society to recognize and demonstrate all the informal learning that happens through work, hobbies, volunteering and various other activities in our lives.
The idea behind badges is familiar from military and scouting organizations. An Open Badge is a digital picture, which contains metadata. The metadata provides information about the issuer of the badge and the criteria used to recognize the skills and achievements of the badge earner. This makes an Open Badge a trusted open credential, with validated evidence of learning.
Because the system is based on an open standard, the earner can combine multiple badges from different issuers to tell a more complete story of his or her achievements. The earner can display the badges in his or her e-Portfolio or share them on the Web for employment, social networking, education or lifelong learning purposes.
- What is Open Badge Factory?
Open Badge Factory is a reliable and flexible platform for issuing Open Badges. It provides a comprehensive set of tools for creating, issuing and managing Open Badges. Open Badge Factory is what your organization needs if you are planning on designing and managing a meaningful, consistent and sustainable badge system that will build your reputation over time!
- Are the badges created by Open Badge Factory compatible with the Mozilla Open Badges Infrastructure?
Yes. The badges created and issued by Open Badge Factory fully align with the Open Badges Infrastructure (OBI) developed by Mozilla.
- Can we use OBF for free or is there a charge?
We offer 3 service levels; Free, Basic and Premium.
Take a look at https://openbadgefactory.com/faq for more details.
There are no reviews for this plugin.
Contributors & Developers
“Open Badge Factory” is open source software. The following people have contributed to this plugin.Contributors
Translate “Open Badge Factory” into your language.
Interested in development?
Browse the code, check out the SVN repository, or subscribe to the development log by RSS.
- Added LearnDash support
- Added BuddyPress support
- Added an email template override
- Changed the look of non-earned badges
- Added an error message when certificate dir is not defined properly
- Fixed error message when certificate dir is not writeable
- Support for Canadian (+possible others) Open Badge Factory API, by defining the API URL.
- Shortcode achievement and user selection UI fixes
- Better syncronization of issued badges between obf and wp
- Fixed Open Badge Factory badges importing multiple copies on some setups
- Fixed Badges-menu behaviour on fresh install
- Fixed a typo in import error message
- Support for Open Badge Factory integration added